Monday, April 5, 2010

A Progress Report on my Studies


Energy Efficient Windows & Doors: Design and Build
I began the semester by researching radiant and infrared heat and
insulated glass units. Based upon my research, I have built a mockup
of an energy-efficient window. I have secured a source of reclaimed
wood to build the 9 window units from. I have found a supplier of
insulated glass units, and have obtained a quote from them. I will
execute the order once I have begun to mill the sashes. The cutting
will commence next week.

Strategies for an Effective Building Envelope
For this project, I will be building a SIP building envelope. I have
however researched many building envelope systems such as stick-frame
construction with cellulose (dry-blown and wet-blown), fiberglass,
open- & closed-cell urethane foam, as well as urethane and EPS foam
SIPs. I have drafted to-scale drawings of the 4 walls, as well as
detailed sections of the wall-floor and wall-roof connections.

I designed a steel trailer and had it fabricated. Fabrication was
completed on April 1.

I have secured a source of waste SIPs for the building envelope, in
Bennington VT.. I will register & drop the trailer to begin loading
materials on April 3. I expect to begin raising the structure in 2
weeks.

China & I are meeting once every couple weeks for Building Envelope
and Windows & Doors as necessary to keep up the momentum. We have
great meetings, and I always come away creatively inspired and
motivated.

Sustainable International Development
Fred & I have been bringing to life the One World Leadership Institute
(OWLI), an international leadership training organization. We have
been creating a structure for the organization and a model of
operations, networking with other leadership educators, and collating
and editing content for OWLI's website, which will be published in the
coming weeks. We are planning also for Fred's return to Africa to
pilot OWLI's flagship entrepeneurial training program, the Youth
Leadership Program.

Vernacular Architecture
I have researched the history of early architecture, from its
prehistoric genesis up to the agricultural revolution. I identified
the archetypes of home: the central hearth, the entry, shelter,
functional use of space and adaptation of space to accomodate
specialized tasks.

I have analyzed the geometric structure of one of the most perfect
forms in nature: the nautilus shell. I have created a base for the
construction of a model of a museum in the form of a nautilus, and
obtained willow for construction of the armature of the structure.

Besides building the model of the museum, I will be creating exhibits
to populate the museum:
- A model of a structure from Terre Amata, the oldest known
architectural site
- a comparison of round and rectangular architecture, and the basis of
those shapes in architecture
- a look at the use of the arch in vernacular architecture
- an exhibit on Musgum mud houses and their energy-efficient design.


This is a summary of my progress thus far in these four studies.

I just looked up the date and found out that the end of the semester
is on April 30! I have a lot of work to get done before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment