Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hot Knife




I have this tool that is hanging my project up: a foam-cutting hot knife. I need it to progress to the next step of assembling my envelope. The tool consists of an electric heating element that creates enough heat to melt the EPS foam cores of the structural insulated panels, in order to create voids to insert framing lumber into the panels.

I could buy the tool, but that is $150 or $200 that I'd rather not spend for a single-use tool.

I have been foiled in two attempts to make such a tool: first, some unsuccesful trials with a torch-heated metal bar nixed the idea of a propane-heated element; second, I tried bending heating elements from an electric stove, with dubious results.

I think that I finally found a place that I can rent a hot knife: Winter Panel in Brattleboro VT. I'll be going through tomorrow, and I'll pick it up.

I'm chomping at the bit to get some structure up in the air, and to see this project start to take shape!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment